Sunday, August 30, 2009

Crab Fondue

Growing up a child in the eighties, it seemed that every time my mom had a party, she made fondue. This particular fondue was always a favorite, and the one she made most often. Even though my sister and I usually didn't get to attend the parties, we always were anxious to get our hands on a pre-party sampling of the fondue! My mom would always keep this warming in a crock pot, so we would always beg for a taste before being banished to our rooms with a babysitter, and being the cute kids that we were, mom usually caved and gave us a taste! As kids, neither my sister or I were really fond of crab, but just about anything can be eaten if you cover with cheese! This fondue has a mellow, creamy taste that is just divine and it is a snap to prepare and stays warm in the crock pot, making it the perfect party food!

This is one of my sister's all-time favorite things, and she used to request it every year for her birthday dinner. She wanted to have it for her birthday this year, but we were out of town and just never got around to it. Yesterday was our friend Kristen's birthday, and she wanted to just come over and hang out and watch movies. I said I would take care of some snacks, so I decided to go ahead and make the fondue, my sister was so excited! Everyone really loved this, it is one of those things that is hard to stop eating....which is why I don't make it very often!

Crab Fondue
from Mom

1 (6 oz.) can crab meat, drained
5 oz. white American cheese (You get this from the deli counter, just ask for a chunk)
1/4 c. milk
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (I left this out, I didn't have any on hand)
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 loaf French bread, cut into 1" cubes and toasted in the oven

Combine all ingredients except for the bread in a fondue pot or crock pot and let melt, stirring occasionally. Once everything is melted and combined, serve with toasted bread cubes.

Green apple slices are also good dippers for this!

1 comment: