Sunday, August 9, 2009

Bacon Tomato Garlic Cheese Toasts

On Friday I was not feeling very good, I had somehow managed to catch myself a summertime cold, which, is not a good time. I was feeling run down and tired, so I decided to go home from work early and just relax on the couch. On my way home I decided I needed to get some movies, so I went to Safeway to see what the RedBox had to offer and while I was there decided to pick up a few items for the road trip that I was taking the next day up to Flagstaff for Cardinals training camp. But as I was wandering the aisles, I couldn't help but think that later on I was going to need to eat something (you know, "feed a cold") so when I was on the freezer aisle and spotted the garlic bread, I immediately remembered a recipe that I had just seen that morning on Krista's Kitchen. The recipe originally came from Food Network Magazine, which I am a subscriber to but have yet to make anything from it, even though it all looks delicious! The recipe originally calls for plain Texas Toast, but Krista had used garlic toast, and I thought that that sounded like the way to go for me as well. I scanned my memory banks and realized that I had just about everything at home already, I just needed to get the garlic bread and a tomato.

After laying on the couch for a few hours, my stomach told me that it was time to make some food, so I set off to throw these toasts together. I have to say, they were pretty simple; cooking the bacon is what took the longest. I generally cook my bacon in a skillet to collect the grease to make beans, or just toss it in the microwave, but that night I decided I wanted to give it a try in the oven....and the results, this is my new favorite way to make it! It is so easy, you don't have to turn it and if you line the pan with foil, the clean up is a cinch! So if you haven't tried this method, just cook at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes until your desired level of crispiness...and voila...hands free bacon!

I didn't put the sliced zucchini on the toasts as the original recipe called for because mine in the fridge had passed the point of no return, and I also omitted the parsley because I don't really think it adds much flavor and then I have a whole bunch leftover in my fridge that just shrivels up and dies. I just went the plain and simple route, cheese spread, bacon and tomato. These were quite rich, but they were tasty, and I could definitely see myself making them again once the weather gets cooler.


Bacon Tomato Garlic Cheese Toasts
adapted from Food Network Magazine Aug/Sep 2009


1 large, ripe tomato
Kosher salt
8 strips bacon (Cooked using your preferred method)
4 slices Texas Toast Garlic Bread, thawed
3/4 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
3/4 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
3/4 c. mayonnaise (I used light)
5 scallions, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with heavy duty foil.

Core the tomato and thinly slice. Place in a colander in the sink and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt; let drain for at least 15 minutes.

Combine the cheeses with the mayonnaise and scallions in a bowl. Spread cheese mixture on the toasts, reserving about 1/3 cup. Crumble 2 slices of bacon onto each slice of bread. Shake off any excess liquid from the tomatoes; distribute tomatoes among the toasts. Dot with the reserved cheese mixture. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. I learned the bacon-in-the-oven thing when I worked at the hotel; I don't think I can ever go back to frying it again!

    Hopefully that cold passes soon. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the simplicity of all your recipes. Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete