Monday, August 17, 2009

Mexican Cheese Corn Dip

So I haven't posted in a week, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been cooking! I just got back from a lovely 5 day stay in cool and breezy Coronado, California! As a kid, we used to spend the month of August there every summer, but as we got older, and school started earlier and earlier, we stopped going. When my dad "semi-retired" a few years ago, he and my mom started going for the month of August again to avoid the heat; and since they love me, I get to go and visit! We have stayed in a variety of houses over the last few years, with the house this year being the best because it can sleep 18 people! With so many extra beds to choose from, my sister and I decided to bring along a bunch of friends to share in the fun and escape the Arizona heat! There ended up being 9 of us total, plus my parents, and we had a great time relaxing, napping, playing cards and riding bikes around the island! Our friends all got in some beach time too, but I get too antsy just sitting on the beach, so I went to the outlet mall instead!

Since my parents were so gracious in letting a group of people invade their peaceful, tropical getaway, I figured I should bring some food for everyone to snack on! I always get rave reviews for my Mexican Dip, so I whipped up another batch, but I also felt that I should try something else that was new. I had been wanting to try this Mexican Cheese Corn Dip for awhile, so I decided this was the perfect opportunity. Let me just say, my friends could not stop eating this! It doesn't have a lot of heat to it (which could always be kicked up with more chilies or jalapenos or a dousing of Tabasco sauce, which is the route Kristen went), but the flavor is great and goes great with tortilla chips. This is the perfect dip to take to a party because it really needs to be made ahead of time to let the flavors blend and turn into something really yummy!

Mexican Cheese Corn Dip

3 (11 oz. each) cans Mexicorn, drained

2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded

1 (7 oz.) can diced green chilies

2/3 c. green onions, chopped

3/4 tsp. ground cumin

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

3/4 c. mayonnaise (I used light)

8 oz. sour cream (I used light)

In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise and cumin; stir well. Add corn, cheese, chilies, garlic salt, and onions to the sour cream mixture. Stir well to combine. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight. Serve with tortilla chips.

1 comment: