Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Crispy Fish Tacos

As you all should know by now, I have a Mexican food addiction! One of the things that I really like, but don't typically order at restaurants is fish tacos, I usually go for enchiladas or green chile burros. But there is one place that I almost always order a fish taco, and that is Rubio's! What really makes Rubio's fish tacos so tasty is the creamy white sauce that they put on the taco, it really pulls together all the flavors and makes them divine. I have never tried to make fish tacos at home before because I didn't know how to make the white sauce. Well, last night I decided to do some Googling and came across the "Top Secret" recipe for it...and you know what, it is embarrassingly easy! Basically, it is just equal parts of mayonnaise and plain yogurt, yup, that's it! So I threw some breaded fish portions in the toaster oven, whipped up the sauce, heated up some corn tortillas, and then tossed on some shredded cabbage and cheese....and voila...a delicious fish taco! I couldn't believe how similar my impostor tacos tasted, and they were so easy! If I wanted to make them even more authentic, I could fry the fish myself, but I just didn't want to mess with that. I did doctor my sauce up a bit with some garlic powder and Mexican seasoning, but I don't think that it was necessary. I can't wait to have some more of these later...but first I think I need to stop and get some limes!

Crispy Fish Tacos
(Measurements are for 4 tacos, double as needed.)

Tacos
4 breaded fish fillets or 8 breaded fish sticks
4 corn tortillas
shredded cabbage
shredded cheese
lime slices

White Sauce
1/4 c. mayonnaise (I used light)
1/4 c. plain yogurt (I used fat free)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
1 tsp. Mexican seasoning (optional)

Cook fish in oven according to package directions.

Combine ingredients for white sauce, chill until ready to serve.

When fish is ready, warm corn tortillas on the stove-top. Spread white sauce on tortilla, top with fish, then more white sauce. Lastly, top with cabbage and cheese and a squirt of lime juice.

En
joy!

3 comments:

  1. Ummm...I love me some fish tacos and I agree that Rubio's are so good. Gotta love the easy sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. last time i made fish tacos i made a "sauce" with just lil mayo and old bay seasoning and the old bay seasoning really added something... i think i might have put a lil old bay on the fish too... it's been a while... think i'll try 'em again this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using fish sticks for fish tacos - freaking GENIUS!!! I would never have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete