Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Pineapple and Green Chile Pork Tacos

I love throwing things into the crock pot, walking away for 8 hours and coming home to a hot meal. I threw this dish in my crock pot on Sunday morning and went about my day, when I got home at 6, it was ready to go. I was starving, so I quickly, heated up some corn tortillas to make taco shells, then piled on the meat, shredded cabbage and some cheese. I took a bite, and my first reaction was, "Hmmm....interesting." When used in this context, the word interesting, is not always a good thing. While this didn't taste bad, it just wasn't quite what I was expecting. As a Mexican food lover, I like some heat to my food, and this was just too sweet for me. I guess that it shouldn't have been too much of a surprise, considering the pineapple and brown sugar, but I thought that those would just temper the heat, not take over. I did eat my tacos, but I sadly decided that if I transferred it into my fridge, it would just sit there, so I sadly put the leftovers down the drain. This recipe got many good reviews, but they must have come from tamer eaters, so if you don't like it hot...give this a try!

Pineapple and Green Chile Pork Tacos
adapted from Real Mom Kitchen

3 lb. boneless pork roast
1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple with juices
1 (16 oz.) jar salsa verde
2 (4 oz.) cans green chiles, undrained
2/3 c. brown sugar

Serving Ideas:
Warm flour tortillas, corn tortillas or taco shells
Cheese; cheddar, queso fresco, etc.
chopped cilantro
lime wedges
shredded lettuce or cabbage

Combine all ingredients in the crock pot and cook on high for four hours or on low for six to eight hours. Shred pork, season to taste with salt and pepper. In a colander, drain juices from crock pot. Mix shredded pork with pineapple/salsa mixture that remains in colander and serve in tortillas with desired accompaniments.

No comments:

Post a Comment