Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Lil' Devils

Even though I have been dealing with a terrible cold the past few days (my second cold of the summer..grr) I have been craving chocolate. Each night, as I sat on the couch with my box of tissues I tried to figure out something quick and easy that I could make with ingredients that I had on hand. Unfortunately, every recipe that I wanted to try, I was missing one of the vital ingredients! So Monday and Tuesday both passed without my chocolate craving being addressed. Today, I had to go and drop off some clothes at Goodwill (I did a little late summer cleaning, and donated 75 items!), and since there is a Fry's in the same parking lot, I decided to run in and grab a few things. I was also on a mission to get one of the missing ingredients so that I could finally get my chocolate fix!

I came across this recipe when I was Googling and trying to find something to do with Devil's Food cake mix, and since it combined both chocolate AND peanut butter, I knew that it couldn't be bad! One of the things that drew me to it was that it only had 4 ingredients, so it was really quick to prepare. The filling was a bit tricky because of all the marshmallow cream, so I ended up just patting it down with my hands. I let these cool for awhile before I sampled them, and the were quite yummy, and went perfect with a cold glass of milk. The main problem is that they came out a bit crumbly, making them difficult to eat, so I just dug in with a fork! Hopefully they will set up more the longer that they cool. This also could have been due to operator error and me not combining the crust ingredients well enough, but it didn't make them any less tasty!

Lil' Devils

1 box Devil's Food cake mix
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix cake mix with melted butter. Set aside 1 cup of the mixture and pat the rest into an ungreased 9 x 13 inch pan to form a crust. Combine the peanut butter and marshmallow cream. Spread over the crust. Crumble the remaining cake mixture over the top; gently press down into the peanut butter layer.

Bake for 20 minutes. Before cutting, let cool for at least 30 minutes to let the marshmallows re-set.

No comments:

Post a Comment