Monday, August 24, 2009

Tuna Mac and Cheese Bake

I had such high hopes for this dish, but ultimately, I was disappointed. It is filled with things that are tasty; Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, tuna, peas and french fried onions...it should be good, right? Well, I am not sure if I just wasn't into it because I have been battling a cold and my taste buds are screwed up, or if I just didn't care for it, but whatever the case, it is going to be having a date with my garbage disposal very soon! I think one of my main issues (even taking into consideration my altered taste buds) is that it was soupier than I generally like things, and the soupyness really drowned out the cheesy flavors. The recipe calls for a can of cream of mushroom soup AND 1 1/3 cups of milk....just too much liquid!! The macaroni is already cooked, so there just wasn't enough stuff to absorb the liquid. I am usually a big fan of leftovers eaten cold, and I thought that in this dish's case it might help it, so I even came home for lunch today to have some cold, but it still was too soupy and turned to mush! I think this could possibly be saved by omitting some of the milk, but I am just not sure that I will try it. But I am still on the lookout for a good Tuna Noodle Casserole recipe...so if you have one...send it my way!


Tuna Mac and Cheese Bake
adapted from Taste of Home's Simple & Delicious Jan/Feb 2009

1 pkg. (7-1/4 oz.) Kraft macaroni and cheese dinner mix
1 can (12 oz.) chunk white water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
1 can (10-3/4) oz. condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1-1/3 c. milk (I really think this is way too much)
1 (16 oz.) pkg. frozen peas and pearl onions
1 can (3 oz.) french-fried onions, divided

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Prepare macaroni dinner mix according to package directions. Add the tuna, soup, milk, peas and half of the fried onions. Place in a greased 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining onions; bake 5 minutes longer or until heated through.

1 comment: