Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pretzel Bars

The night before I left for California I had a lot of things that I needed to get done to prepare, but after having battled a head cold for the last few days, all I wanted to do was lay on the couch. I had planned to make a few sweets to bring along on the trip, but the longer I lay there, the more I began to reconsider my plan. I finally compromised with myself and decided that I would make one of the planned desserts, but not both.

I had found this recipe about a month ago on the Two Peas and Their Pod blog and instantly knew that I had to try them. I don't know about you, but the combination of salty and sweet is one of major weaknesses, once I start I just can't stop! My mom is like this with Kettle Korn, she has a serious addiction, I have even seen her eat if for breakfast to just get it out of the house! I have always loved chocolate covered pretzels, and who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies? Put them together and you have yourself a chewy, salty, crunchy, chocolaty treat that cannot be beat. These were so simple to put together, and since they are in bar form and not cookie form, the prep time is reduced even more. Everyone really enjoyed these...especially Meghan...who ate them for her breakfast one morning!


Chocolate Chip Cookie Pretzel Bars
adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
12 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 c. mini pretzels, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Using a mixer, beat the butter with both sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. On low, beat in the dry ingredients, just until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips and pretzel pieces.

Spread the batter evenly in the pan. Press the batter down with a spatula. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and let cool completely.

Use a knife to go around the side of the pan to loosen the bars. Cut into squares and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment