Friday, August 21, 2009

Spinach Artichoke Dip

My love for all things food and cooking began at an early age; I started collecting cookbooks the way other kids collected baseball cards! My closet was filled with more cookbooks than shoes (which is saying a lot, since I have always been a proud "shoe whore")! When I was in middle school, the Internet age began. At first, I thought the best part was just being able to IM with my friends, but then I discovered what the "information super highway" was really all about...an unmatched database filled with anything and everything you could ever want to know! I immediately started searching (this was before Google) and seeking out recipes. I would print out copies of the ones that I wanted to try, and organize them in a three-ring binder both alphabetically and by course. I found the recipe for this dip back in those early days, before you could attach a picture or write a review, when you just had to try it out to see if it was any good! Well my friends, this turned out to be one of those recipes that is very, very good; a classic you might say. I can't count the number of times that I have made this, always getting raves and recipe requests from its consumers. I make it from memory now, no written recipe required, but it is just so good, that I thought I should share it with you all in written form.

(The picture below shows it served with salsa and sour cream on the side, this is known as "Chicago Style." This is my preferred way to eat it, but it is just as delicious all on its own.)

Spinach Artichoke Dip

1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen, chopped spinach, thawed & drained
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies (This doesn't make it spicy, so if you want heat, add more)
1 c. Parmesan cheese, grated (I prefer grated, but shredded works fine too)
1 c. mayonnaise
1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
8 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded (1 cup)

Preheat Oven to 350 °F

Mix all ingredients together and put in a 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle a little bit of Parmesan on top, if desired. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes until top is golden brown.

Serve with chips.

Kitchen Tip: The fastest, easiest way to chop the artichoke hearts is to drain them in the can, then using a pair of clean kitchen scissors, just cut them up in the can. This works great, doesn't require getting a cutting board dirty and makes the preparation so easy!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be still my heart. The greatest recipe known to man! You had me at hello spinach artichoke dip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously every time i make your spinach artichoke dip everyone tells me how amazing it is and i just say thank jenn :)

    ReplyDelete