Thursday, August 27, 2009

Creamy Jalapeno White Sauce & Shrimp Enchiladas

Every summer when I visit Coronado with my family, there is one thing that I always have to do...go and eat at Miguel's Cocina! My family has been eating here since I was a toddler, and I have many fond memories of spending time there with both family and friends. When we first went back to stay in Coronado after about a 15 year hiatus, I was really excited to go back to Miguel's. It looked just how I had remembered it, but one thing that I didn't remember was the Jalapeno White Sauce that they serve alongside the chips and salsa. Let me just say....it was love at first bite! Maybe I never ate this stuff as a kid, or maybe it had just been too long, but I could not believe that I didn't remember it. Even though there are jalapenos in it, it is not really spicy, it is just a smooth, velvety white sauce that goes great with just about everything on the menu!

On my recent trip to Coronado, I was only able to get to Miguel's once (I usually try to sneak in at least two trips) but I savored every bite of the sauce, knowing that I wouldn't get to have it again for an entire year. Well.....I was wrong! The other day I was surfing around on the Internet and came across a website full of secret restaurant recipes, it got me thinking, and so just for fun I Googled "Miguel's Cocina Jalapeno White Sauce," and to my complete surprise it popped right up! In reading the blurb, apparently Miguel's will actually give you a recipe card if you ask for the recipe at the restaurant....who knew??!! With the secret recipe now in my hot little hand, I knew that I was going to have to try it out ASAP. And while I am always a fan of eating just dip for dinner, I decided I need to be a little bit more grown up and actually make some real food as well, so I got some shrimp at the butcher counter to make into some enchiladas with the sauce on top!

The instructions for the dip seemed pretty simple, but they did call for "clarified butter." I had heard of that before, but didn't know how to make it, so after some Internet research I was good to go. It actually was pretty simple, but a word to the wise, start with double the amount of butter that you actually will need, because the clarifying process reduces it by half. Once I had the butter ready it was smooth sailing, and the sauce came together in just 10 minutes! I tasted it, and it was almost a perfect duplicate of my beloved sauce from Miguel's! I think it could have used even a bit more jalapeno, so adjust according to your heat tolerance. Once the sauce was ready, I prepared the enchiladas and I had myself a delicious (although, not low fat at all) Mexican feast! I think next time I will try and make it using half and half and see how it works out!

The possibilities are endless for this sauce.....thank you Miguel!

Creamy Jalapeno White Sauce

2 c. whipping cream
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. chicken base
2 Tbsp. clarified butter
1 Tbsp. flour
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (Or more if you like it hot!)
1 Tbsp. juice from jarred jalapenos
1/2 c. shredded cheese (Mexi-Mix)

Heat whipping cream in a saucepan over high heat. When cream is ready to boil, stir in sour cream. When sour cream dissolves, reduce heat to medium. Stir in chicken base and jalapeno juice and simmer.

While cream is simmering, make a roux by warming butter in a saucepan over medium heat, adding flour, and mixing with a wire whip until mixture starts to turn pale gold.

Just before cream mixture is about to boil again, add roux, whisking briskly until it is incorporated. Remove from heat and stir in minced jalapeno and shredded cheese.



Shrimp Enchiladas
(I just made enough for me, so adjust accordingly)

8 extra large shrimp, peeled and deviened
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
Olive Oil
1/2 c. Jalapeno cheese sauce
3 corn tortillas
1/2 c. shredded Monterrey jack cheese
Green onions, chopped

Heat oil in a saucepan. Add shrimp; sprinkle with seasonings and some of the onions. Cook until shrimp are pink. Remove shrimp and roughly chop. Add in a touch of the cheese sauce.

Warm tortillas in microwave. Spread a small amount of sauce on the bottom of a glass baking dish. Fill tortillas with shrimp mixture; roll up and place seam side down in dish. Spoon remaining cheese sauce over the top and sprinkle with cheese and onions.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Enjoy
!

4 comments:

  1. You can't go wrong with a white sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just encountered Miguel's a few weeks ago, and was able to make the white sauce today. I used all Monterey Jack, freshly shredded, which was the only difference from yours. My only comment would be if you try this with chips, as they serve it at Miguel's, the chips we can buy in the store are uber-salted and overpower the sauce. Try to find fresh or unsalted chips for the best taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely the BEST WHITE SAUCE EVER! I love Miguel's and found this recipe and did it at home. Tasted perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty sure that this jalapeno cream sauce was what was served at the Brigantine with the item of the day, squid rellenos; not the tiny little squid you see on recipe sites everywhere, but more like the humboldt sized squid that wash up on the beach. That was memorable enough but the sauce was so good. Brigantine restaurants and Miguels Cocina are owned by the same company and there is cross sharing.

    ReplyDelete