Thursday, May 21, 2009

Shrimp Pad Thai

I absolutley love Pad Thai, and when I came across this recipe on another recipe blog I knew that I wanted to try it out ASAP! I decided to invite a few friends over to watch the American Idol finale (so happy that Kris won!), so I thought this would be the perfect time to try it out.

I have to say, it was much easier than I would have anticipated; especially once all the prep work was done, it cooked up in just about 15 minutes and was very good. I will definitely be making this again and my guests agreed! Give it a try!

Shrimp Pad Thai

adapted from a blog that I can't find again...sorry!


8 oz dried rice noodles

1/4 cup fish sauce (nam pla)

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup rice vinegar

2 T hoisin sauce

2 T to 1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 cloves minced garlic

1 Tbsp. chili sauce (siracha) [Use less for less heat]

2 eggs

1 pound shrimp, peeled & deveined

10 oz fresh bean sprouts

6 green onions, thinly sliced

3/4 cup peanuts, chopped; divided

1/4 cup chopped cilantroLime wedges

Soak noodles in hot water according to package directions. Drain. Peel & devein shrimp. Place in bowl, season with a pinch or two of salt and stir to be sure all shrimp are seasoned.Mix fish sauce, sugar, vinegar and hoisin sauce in a bowl; stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.


Heat a large sautee pan with high sides over high heat. Add 2 T oil, garlic and chili sauce. Stir fry until golden. Add noodles and toss lightly to coat with oil. Push noodles to one side. Add more oil if necessary. Add eggs. Cook until slightly set then break up into pieces and toss with noodles.
Add shrimp, most of the bean sprouts, the green onions, and 1/4 cup of peanuts. Stir fry until shrimp just turn pink, 1-2 minutes. Add sauce and toss to coat.


Remove to a serving platter and top with cilantro and remaining peanuts. Garnish with bean sprouts and lime wedges. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. You should move over to this side of town so I can come over and try all your tasty recipes!

    ReplyDelete