Monday, May 4, 2009

The Greek Wraps

Kirsch and I had been out driving around the West Valley for a couple of hours when we realized that it was time to grab some lunch. We were heading North on 75th Avenue, when I remembered about this Greek place my friend Jacob had told me about a few months back. I asked Kirsch if that would work, and she agreed. The restaurant is located near Arrowhead Town Center on the Southeast corner of 75th Ave. & Bell Roads. We pulled into the parking lot, and it was quite full, which wasn't surprising since it was 12:30 and Rubio's and Panda Express were in the same center.

We walked in and got in line to place our order. The restaurant was quite small inside, only about eight tables, but they were all full. While we waited in line, we scanned the menu that was up on the wall....it all looked so good....and when I say looked, it is because it had pictures of every dish! I had trouble deciding, but finally chose the Steak Shawarma Pita Combo and Kirsch went for the Gyro Pita. Kirsch was able to snag us a table when someone got up, so we took a seat and waited for our food. After less than five minutes our numbers were called and we were ready to eat.

Kirsch's Gyro was filled with thinly sliced gyro meat, tomatoes, onion and tzatziki sauce. She tasted it and declared that it was excellent. I tried the meat, and she was right. This was some of the best gyro meat I had ever had. It was well spiced, and not greasy at all. We both felt that the portion of meat was very generous considering the pita only cost $4.99.
I was eager to try my shawarma, mostly because it was something new to me! I have seen chicken shawarma and lots of menus, but never steak, and since I love me some red meat, I thought it was something I needed to try! What really intrigued me was the description of the cooking technique, it said that it was slow cooked on a vertical skewer, which I had previously thought was reserved for gyro meat, so I was interested to see what it would be like. The pita came out and was filled to the brim. The meat was not shaved like gyro meat, but it was in thin strips. I tried just a piece of the meat first, and I really liked it, it did not taste like gyro meat, but just a well seasoned steak. Next I tried a bite of everything together, and WOW!! It was amazing!! The meat had been topped with lettuce, tomato, hummus and garlic sauce, and the flavors together made for an amazing sandwich. The garlic sauce was subtle enough, but it really added a wonderful element to the overall flavor. Kirsch tried the meat, and she too agreed that it was very good, something you don't see everyday. We shared my fries, and while okay, they were just boring old fries, but they weren't meant to be the superstar of the plate.

While we were eating our lunch, Kirsch noticed that they were making the bread fresh at the back of the kitchen. Upon further review (i.e. reading the menu more closely) we realized that what they were making were the wraps, not the pitas. We were a bit annoyed with ourselves for not figuring this out before ordering, but ultimately decided that it gave us a good excuse to make a return visit. So we will definitely be back to sample the wraps and some of the other delicious looking menu items. If you are in the area and have a non-adventurous eater with you, they also have a Philly Cheesesteak on the menu....so maybe you can lure them in with that!

The Greek Wraps

7369 W. Bell Rd., #4

Peoria, AZ 85382

www.thegreekwraps.com

1 comment:

  1. i will definitely have to give it a try sometime... it's right in the neighborhood of my branches.. thanks for the heads up bean queen :)

    ReplyDelete