Sunday, May 17, 2009

Greek Chicken Nachos

I was hosting another dinner for some of my college friends this past Wednesday, and once I again I had to figure out something that didn't use beef or too much cheese (my two favorite ingredients)! Even though I am in the middle of my Mexican food challenge, I opted not to go with anything Mexican this month. I had seen a recipe in one of my magazines for Greek Chicken Nachos, and when I looked it up, I realized that I had almost all the ingredients already on hand, I just had to get pita chips and marinade; so I was sold! Whenever my parents come over they always seem to comment on how my pantry could feed an army, I like to go with the term "well-stocked." I try to tell them that all my cooking magazines are always suggesting that you keep a good amount of the basics on hand, but I am usually just met with eye rolls. I think I get the "well-stocked" pantry and freezer gene from my paternal grandmother, she too likes to keep ample supplies on hand.

This dish was simple to throw together once the prep work was done, and the girls demolished it! Looking at the dish before it went into the oven I was thinking to myself how I was going to have a lot of leftovers, but nope, they scraped the dish clean! I served it with a side of baby zucchini and roasted red peppers, sauteed in olive oil and garlic (other items in my "well-stocked" kitchen). It was a delicious dinner, but the company was the best part of the meal!

Disclaimer: This does not photograph very well, and I forgot to take a picture until after I had served everyone. It may not look pretty on the plate, but it will be tasty on the taste buds!

Greek Chicken Nachos
adapted from Taste of Home's Simple & Delicious Jan/Feb 2009

1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (12 oz.) bottle Lemon Pepper Marinade (I used Lawry's 30 Minute Marinade)
2 (15 oz. each) cans garbanzo bean, rinsed & drained
1/2 c. Italian salad dressing
4 c. crushed Pita chips
1 (4 oz.) pkg. tomato and basil feta cheese
1 c. chopped tomatoes
1 c. Kalamata olives, chopped
2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded

Place chicken in a large resealable bag and pour in marinade. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Remove chicken from marinade and bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes or until juices run clear. (You could also grill the chicken if desired).


While chicken is cooking, place garbanzo beans and salad dressing in a food processor, cover and process until smooth. When chicken is cooked, dice into bite size pieces.

In an ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking dish, layer in this order, half of the bean mixture, pita chips, chicken, feta cheese, tomato, olives and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers one more time.

Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.

1 comment:

  1. Jimmy is impressed by a well stocked pantry. Then when the zombies invade, you are prepared :)

    ReplyDelete