Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Burrito Bake

I am a creature of habit. Like clockwork, I always do my laundry on Sundays, it is the one routine that I never vary from (too bad I can't be like that with my gym routine!). Since I know that my Sundays will inevitably be filled with hanging around the house and switching loads from the washer to the dryer, I usually like to make a nice meal since I have plenty of time to dither around in the kitchen. But on this particular Sunday, I wasn't in the mood for any experimentation, so I decided that I wanted to stick with something more classic that I could whip up quickly and then go on about my business around the house. I had gone to breakfast (is it still called this if you go at noon?) with Laura and Karen that day, and since I had not had any Mexican food, I knew that I wasn't yet ready to give up on my personal challenge; so I had to make something Mexican!

I decided to go with the Burrito Bake. I had found this recipe on the Recipezaar website a few months back, tried it out and loved it...and it is so easy!!! The cool part about it is you can alter the ingredients based on your tastes; I have made it with ground turkey and black beans, and even threw in some corn once! But Sunday night I stuck to the original recipe....because classics never go out of style!

Burrito Bake

adapted from Recipezaar

1 lb ground beef
1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 (1 1/4 oz.) envelope taco seasoning
1 (8 oz.) package crescent rolls
2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese

Optional Toppings:
chopped green pepper, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, sour cream, sliced ripe avocado

In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the beans and taco seasoning; and heat through.

Unroll crescent roll dough. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish; seal seams and perforations.

Spread beef mixture over crust; sprinkle with cheeses.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with toppings of your choice.

I topped mine with some light sour cream and avocado slices......yummy yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment