Sunday, May 10, 2009

Recipes from Cinco de Mayo Week

This past week, I seemed to do a lot of cooking, and not a lot of blogging. I am not sure what my deal was, but I was at a barbecue yesterday and my friend Jess told me that I needed to put up some new recipes. So I figured I would share what I made during the week of Cinco de Mayo...and as you may have already guessed....the overall theme is Mexican!

Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars

Last Sunday I was in the mood for something sweet, and realized that I had all the ingredients on hand to make sopapilla cheesecake bars! I just love when no last minute store runs for one missing item are necessary. I had found this recipe a little over a year ago on Recipezaar, and I had been dying to try it out. I LOVE cheesecake....my birthday also happens to be National Cheesecake Day...so it was meant to be that I try these out! I couldn't wait for these to finish baking, the cinnamon aroma had filled my house, and had me drooling. Once I was finally able to dig in, I couldn't understand what took me so long to try these out!! They were so easy to make, but were a 10 on the tasty scale. These will definitely be making a repeat appearance, and I won't be waiting until Cinco de Mayo next year!


Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars

2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
2 (8 oz)) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup cinnamon sugar

Using a 9 x 13 baking pan, unroll one package of refrigerated crescent rolls and line the bottom of the pan. Pinch together seams and flatten.

Mix together the cream cheese, sugar and extract with an electric mixer, then spread over the crescent rolls.

Unroll the other can of crescent rolls and place on top of cream cheese mixture.
Pour melted butter over the top and sprinkle with about 1/2 cup of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Store leftovers in the refrigerator, best served at room temperature.


Crockpot Refried Beans

As I am sure you can tell, I LOVE BEANS!!! I had been wanting to try making my own for some time now, so I figured it was a good time to try them, especially the recipe called for no pre-soaking! I found a few different recipes that I altered to my tastes, and while these were good, I still have some tinkering to do. Also, they are missing the one major element that makes them really good...which is lard....but at least these are healthy!



Crockpot Refried Beans
adapted from Coleen's Recipes

1 yellow onion (cut in half, but not chopped)
3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed and sorted
2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 oz. diced jalapenos (or you can use 2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chilies)
9 cups water
1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream

Put everything except the jalapenos and half & half in the crockpot. Cook on high for 8 hours until beans are tender. Drain. Put beans and jalapenos into a food processor and puree. Stream in a half & half until desired consistency.



Pollo Fundido Dip

Pollo Fundido is one of my all time favorite items at Mexican restaurants, so when I came across this recipe I knew I had to try it. I made this the same night that I made the beans, and turned into a very festive meal! It didn't have as much heat as I would have liked, which is probably because I used green chilies instead of jalapenos, next time I think I will kick it up a notch! If I was to serve this for a party, I would prepare as directed and then put into a crock pot to keep warm.


Pollo Fundido Dip
adapted from Taste of Home Community Pages


2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 medium chopped onions
2 (7 oz.) cans chopped green chilies or 1 (4oz.) can chopped jalapenos
1 tsp. salt
5 oz. can evaporated milk
1 cup grated white sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Monterrey jack cheese (or pepperjack!)
8 oz. cooked chicken, chopped or shredded

Saute' the onion in the vegetable oil until soft. Add the green chilies and salt and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add the evaporated milk and simmer for 4 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add the cheeses and chicken and continue cooking until heated through and the cheese has completely melted.

Serve with chips or veggies for dipping.



Fluffy Guacamole

I was asked to bring something to a barbecue that I was attending on Saturday. I was having a very lazy day, and didn't get into the shower until 3, and the barbecue started at 4. With no time to go to the store, I had to make do with what I had on hand. I had just received my new Healthy Cooking from Taste of Home Magazine, and found the perfect snack to bring. I used to hate anything that had to do with avocados up until about 2 years ago, it was so weird, one day I just felt that I need some guacamole, and I became hooked! My dad makes the best guacamole in the world, and while he has shown me how to do it, his always seems to taste better. I thought that this recipe sounded tasty for a barbecue and I was right, one of my friends couldn't stop eating it and asked me if I had put crack in it!! No, no crack....just some yummy goodness that will definitely make my regular rotation! (Sorry for the bad picture, we had polished off half of it before I remembered to take a picture!)




Fluffy Guacamole
Adapted from Healthy Cooking by Taste of Home (June/July 09)

2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
1 (8 oz.) pkg. light cream cheese
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
1/2 medium onion
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 garlic clove, peeled
1/4 tsp. salt
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped

Place onion and garlic in the food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the tomatoes, and process until blended. Stir in the tomatoes by hand. Serve with chips.

3 comments:

  1. i made your spinach artichoke dip yesterday and everyon exclaimed that it was the best they ever had and i said they should thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks....that is one of my all-time favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Fluffy Guacamole was so yummy. I'm glad you posted the recipe! - Jenny

    ReplyDelete