Monday, September 14, 2009

Zucchini & Leek Tart

My friend Amy brought something over to my house very similar to this a couple of weeks ago, and ever since then, the thought of recreating it had been swirling in my head! Upon my first bite, I was hooked; and I needed to figure out how to make it. I asked her what the trick was, her reply, pre-made pie crust! Well, I figured that was easy enough, and sure enough, it was! This was a snap to throw together, but to your guests, it looks like you had to slave over it for hours! Now that I have the basics down, I plan to experiment with different filling combinations. This is the perfect thing to take to a potluck or prepare ahead of time, because it is delicious either hot or at room temperature. I took the leftovers to my mom's house over the past weekend, and she and Aunt Martha both loved it and wanted to know how I made it....but then again, how can anything that includes pie crust not be good!?!


Zucchini & Leek Tart

1 refrigerated pie crust, thawed as directed on the package
1 - 2 medium zucchini, sliced
1 leek, white parts only, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs. olive oil
salt to taste
1/2 c. crumbled goat cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and leeks, saute for 3 - 5 minutes until golden. Add zucchini to the pan and salt to taste. Cook over medium heat until zucchini is cooked, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, cover a baking sheet with foil. Roll out pie crust onto the baking sheet. When zucchini filling is ready, spoon into the center of the crust, leaving about 2 inches around the edges. Fold pie crust up over filling, it will not cover it completely, and will become a square shape. Sprinkle with goat cheese.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until pie crust is cooked through. Enjoy!

1 comment: