Saturday, September 12, 2009

Avocado Mexican Pizza

The Sunday of my Labor Day Weekend was kind of an odd day. I had slept in until 11:00 (don't be jealous, tailgating takes a lot out of a girl!), which meant that at around 11:30 I finally ate something that I considered to be breakfast. I then hung around and watched TV in my pajamas and read the paper, at 2:00 I decided it was finally time to take a shower and get dressed so that I could run some errands. Just as I was about to get into the shower my dad called, he wanted to go to lunch. Well I was not at all surprised about my dad's lunch suggestion, he always wants to go to lunch, but I was surprised that he wanted to go to lunch so late in the day! You see, my dad is a creature of habit, when the clock strikes twelve, he eats lunch; so I was amazed that he had missed his lunch time that day, but, nevertheless, I agreed to go and meet him.

I had to drop some stuff off to my mom, so I swung by their house and picked my dad up, and off we went to his favorite place, Valle Luna. We didn't actually end up getting there until 3:00 by the time I showered, got to my folks, etc., so it basically could have been considered dinner at this point! After we ate, I carried on with my day, but at about 9:00 that night I realized that I was hungry! I didn't want to have anything really big or heavy, but I knew that I needed to eat something. I had been browsing some of the blogs that I read when I cam across this recipe; I quickly realized that I had just about everything on hand to make it, so I decided to whip myself up a light, late-night dinner. I made a few modifications based on what I had on hand, and because of that, I did think that there was a lack of color on the plate, but the taste was not lacking! This was quick and tasty, and hit the spot to curb my hunger until the morning. I did find it funny that the original recipe called these quesadillas, but I just couldn't bring myself to go with that title because they are open-faced, so I changed the name! These can be made as appetizers for a party, or just as an afternoon snack; and the possibilities for toppings is endless!

I will list the full recipe for 4 servings, but I made a single serving just for me.

Avocado Mexican Pizza

1 (4 oz.) can sliced black olives, drained
3 firm-ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped (or 2 baby bell peppers) - I didn't have any on hand
1 jalapeno, finely chopped - I used chopped jalapenos from a jar
1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
2 tbsp red onion, finely chopped - I used green onions
Juice of 1 lime
Sea salt to taste
4 flour tortillas
cheddar cheese (or Monterrey Jack), shredded - I used a Mexi blend

Chop all of the vegetables. Stir together olives, avocado, bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, onion and lime juice. Season with sea salt and pepper
to taste.

Put tortillas on a large baking sheet. Broil tortillas 2-4 inches from the heat until pale golden brown, about 45 seconds. Turn tortillas over and cover with cheese; broil until melted and bubbling, about 30 seconds. Divide olive mixture among the tortillas, cut each tortilla into 4 wedges and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment