Thursday, September 10, 2009

Grilled Potato Skins

These potato skins were the star of the show at the tailgate! Not only were they the favorite dish, but they were my featured item as far as my theme went because Idaho = potatoes! I love ordering potato skins out at restaurants, with all the cheese and bacon and sour cream nestled into the cute little potato shells, there is nothing not to love! I had never actually made potato skins at home before; I have made twice baked potatoes countless times, but never just the skins. These really couldn't be simpler and possibly even easier than twice baked potatoes (well, less cooking time at the least), and they are perfect for a party because they can be assembled beforehand and then grilled (or baked) once it is time to serve. I only put bacon on about half of mine because I knew I has some non-bacon eaters in my group (hard to believe, but true), so just adjust to your group's tastes!

I do have to say that at first I was a bit perplexed with what to do with all of the reserved potato pulp, I had cooked 10 pounds of potatoes, so there was a TON! Instead of just tossing it, I tossed in all kinds of stuff from my fridge; butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, garlic salt and some Monterrey jack, then I topped it all with some steamed broccoli and more cheese and baked it. It was enjoyed by the non-meat eaters, but there was a lot leftover, so I think next time I would save it to make potato cakes.

Grilled Potato Skins
(This is a pared down version, I was cooking for a crowd...10 pounds of potatoes!)

6 large Russet potatoes
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Salt & pepper, to taste
10-15 slices bacon,cooked until crisp and chopped (I used pre-cooked)
3 c. cheddar cheese, finely grated
6-7 green onions, finely chopped
Sour cream

Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash the outside of the potatoes, then dry very well. Place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender (cooking time will vary depending on the size of potatoes). Cool until able to handle.

Once potatoes have cooled, slice the potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp leaving about 1/2-inch thick layer of the cooked potato on the skins. Place the skins on the baking sheet (skin side down, pulp side facing upwards). Sprinkle the inside with salt and pepper and grated Parmesan cheese (if using).
In a bowl combine the shredded cheese, chopped bacon, and green onions; mix to combine. Evenly divide the cheese mixture over top of the skins.

*At this point you can cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.*

Heat outdoor grill to medium heat. Transfer the skins to a disposable aluminum baking sheet and place on the grill. Grill, with the potato skins covered for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and potatoes have heated through.

Serve with sour cream or your favorite toppings!

To prepare indoors, bake at 400 degrees on an oiled baking pan for about 20 minutes, or until cheese melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment