Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lime Chiffon

I just got back from a wonderful 4-day trip to Chicago with my sister. We ate lots of good food, which I will be sharing with you shortly, but I need to post one last item from her birthday barbecue a few weeks ago.

My sister's favorite dessert ever is Key Lime Pie, when she said that is what she wanted for her birthday, I suggested she make Lime Chiffon because it is very similar and is super simple! Since I made all of the side dishes, she decided she wanted to make her own dessert (but I did also bring some peanut butter truffle brownies by request), and even though it was her birthday, I let her do it! I found this recipe back when I was in high school, and it became a summertime staple with my family. It is cool and refreshing, and makes it possible for just a few minutes to forget that we live in the desert! This is really quick to throw together, just make sure you allow enough chilling time or you will have a soupy mess! P.S. Sorry about the photo, we had already started eating before I remembered to take the picture.

Lime Chiffon

1½ c. graham cracker crumbs

1/3 c. sugar

½ c. melted butter or margarine

1 pkg. (3 oz.) lime gelatin

1 c. boiling water

2 pkgs. (one 8 oz. & one 3 oz.) cream cheese, softened

1 c. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 carton (16 oz.) cool whip, thawed

Combine the first three ingredients; set aside 2 tablespoons for topping. Press remaining crumbs onto the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 inch baking dish; set aside. In a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; cool. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Add vanilla; mix well. Slowly add gelatin until combined. Fold in cool whip. Spoon over crust; sprinkle reserved crumbs. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.


Limes on Foodista

3 comments:

  1. Bring on the Chicago stories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can make this right now! It sure looks delicious!I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add this foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks! Alisa@Foodista

    ReplyDelete
  3. so i made this for the family get together last weekend and it was a complete hit... everyone loved it. i'm wondering how you think it might turn out if i used oreo crumbles instead of graham crackers and pistachio (mint) jello instead of lime? think that would be yummy too? kyle said not to mess with a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete