Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Triple Layer Banana Cream Pie Bars

My sorority alum group was having a bunco night last week, so I decided that I would make a dessert to share with everyone. I had come across this recipe a few weeks ago and thought that it sounded nice a refreshing for a hot summer night. The ladies at bunco night all really enjoyed it, and I got multiple requests for the recipe, but it didn't quite meet my expectations. Although, I do think that with a few minor adjustments, it could be greatly improved. First of all, maybe I didn't crush the pecans up enough, but I found them to be overpowering and it was the only thing that I could taste. If I were to make it again, I would probably omit the nuts and use only vanilla wafers. The other thing that I would change is that I would use banana pudding instead of vanilla pudding, these are supposed to be banana cream bars but they didn't have much of a banana flavor.

I would make these again with the changes because I like the concept and how easy they were to prepare. So if you are looking for a cool summer dessert, try a version of these!

P.S. These do not photograph well at all, it kinda just looks like a blob, so sorry!


Triple Layer Banana Cream Pie Bars
adapted from My Sister's Cucina

1 1/2 c. crushed vanilla wafer cookies (about 60 wafers)
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/3 c. butter or margarine, melted
3 bananas, sliced
3 c. cold milk
2 pkgs. (4-serving size each) instant vanilla pudding & pie mix
2 1/2 c. whipped topping, thawed

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Mix wafer crumbs, pecans and butter in 13X9-inch baking dish; press firmly onto bottom of dish. Bake 8 min. Cool 10 min.Top crust with banana slices. Pour milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mixes. Beat with wire whisk 2 min. or until well blended. Spoon 2 cups of the pudding over banana layer.Gently stir 1 cup of the whipped topping into remaining pudding; spoon over pie. Top with remaining 1 1/2 cups whipped topping. Refrigerate 3 hours. Store leftovers in refrigerator.

4 comments:

  1. I am going to try making this tomorrow (with your recommended changes). We bought a box of Nila Waffers yesterday at Sams Club and already ate one entire bag. They are darn tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how they turn out with the changes! And yes Nilla Wafters are darn tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made them yesterday and thought about taking them to a BBQ, but decided we wanted them all to ourselves. They were DELICIOUS! In addition to the other changes we also added some broken up pieces of waffers on top for extra crunch. YUM!!! Good work Doughhead :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, good idea with the wafers on top! I am going to have to try these again soon!

    ReplyDelete