Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Black and White Bean Dip

I am sure by now you are all aware of my love of beans, and I think I have mentioned once or twice my affinity for dips and how I even consider dip to be a meal in itself on certain occasions; so when you put the two together.....heaven! I have tried many different versions of bean dips, and I have a few favorites, but I am always willing to try out a new one.

I was going over to a family friend's house on 4th of July for a BBQ and some pool time and was in charge of bringing over an appetizer. I had seen this on a blog a few month's ago, and had been wanting to give it a try, so this was the perfect opportunity! This was very different from most beans dips I have made in the past because the beans are kept whole, but it was a delicious change of pace. My friend Karen especially liked it, but in the future, I think I need to add a bit more heat! I am thinking of omitting the fresh tomato and substituting with a can of drained Rotel tomatoes.

Black and White Bean Dip

From The Sister's Cafe

1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 (15 oz.) can white beans, drained
1 (10 oz.) can shoepeg corn, drained
1 (7 oz.) can Herdez salsa verde
2 c. shredded Colby Jack cheese (I used Mexican blend)
4-6 chopped Roma tomatoes (squeeze liquid out of tomatoes before chopping)
garlic salt to taste

Combine the beans and corn. Chop the tomatoes into chunks, squeezing out the liquid first. Mix in the tomatoes and remaining ingredients (save a little bit of cheese) to the bean and corn mixture. Spray a shallow baking dish (I used a glass 2 Qt. baking dish) with nonstick spray before spooning in the bean mixture. Sprinkle a little cheese on top and pop into the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and it is all warm and bubbly. Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment