Thursday, July 9, 2009

Smothered Tacos

Okay, so this may not look too pretty on the plate, but it was oh so tasty! I found this on a blog (sorry to the original poster, I forgot to jot down your address) a couple of months ago, and while it has been really warm here, I just felt like making a casserole one night. Growing up, my mom very, very rarely made casseroles; I am not sure if it was because she refused to use the oven on a week night (due to peak electricity hours) or if it was because she just didn't like them. Even though I had a lack of casseroles during my early years, I somehow came to love all things casserole! I told my mom once that I should have been raised in the mid-west where casseroles are king, rather than the hot desert where we grill year round! So while those that live in colder climates relish the moment that they are able to fire up their grills and sit outside, I prefer to crank down my air conditioning and throw a casserole in the oven!

I made this recipe as written, but I think it could be easily adapted for vegetarians and non beef eaters alike, by either using more beans or substituting ground turkey. I really enjoyed this; even though it was 105 degrees outside, so I can only imagine how much more I will enjoy it when it drops below 70 degrees here (and yes, I know, I am in for quite a wait)!

P.S. The original poster called this Enchilada Casserole, but I felt that the name wasn't quite right, so I am re-naming it Smothered Tacos!

Smothered Tacos


1 lb. ground beef (or ground meat of your choice)
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 (14.5 oz.) can Refried Beans (I used Spicy Jalapeno!)
1 pkg. hard taco shells (I ended up only using 8 shells)
1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed tomato soup
1 (10.5 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (16 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
1 c. shredded Mexican blend cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown ground beef in a large skillet; drain fat. Add the taco seasoning and water as directed on taco packet; simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, spread refried beans evenly among the 8 taco shells, top with taco meat. Lay in a 9x13 pan.


Mix soups and enchilada sauces together, spread over the top of the taco shells. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly! Serve with sour cream if desired.

2 comments:

  1. I would have LOVED to grow up eating your momma's food. I was never a huge cassarole fan because it is what mean Grandma used to make. This one looks tasty...minus the meat of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! my grandma used to make us tuna casseroles, in fact she still does once in a while. my grandpa used to always ask "who's she mad at?" although comforting i think this casserole is more up my alley - will have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete