Sunday, March 28, 2010

Chocolate Mint Brownies

I wanted to bring in a treat to my office for St. Patrick's Day, I am not Irish, but I love any good excuse for treats!  I had seen a version of these brownies in an issue of Cooking Light over a year ago, and I had been thinking about making them ever since, and I finally had the perfect opportunity!  The original recipe has you actually make the brownie part from scratch; but since I had hit at sale at Fry's a few months ago and got brownie mix for $1.00 per box, I thought it just made more sense to use what I already had (plus, it was the dark chocolate kind...my favorite)!  So I whipped up the brownie base on the Sunday night before the big day, and then made the toppings the night before.  The layers were really easy to make, I had just a little bit of trouble with gettting the chocolate layer to cover the entire pan, but other than that, these were a cinch to make! When I went to the store, I picked up mint extract instead of peppermint extract, and I think I am going to have to buy the peppermint for next time because the pure mint is just a hint too strong...a bit like toothpaste...and well, chocolate and toothpaste just don't mix!  No one else that tried these seemed to notice or mind, everyone at my office loved these, and what is not to love?  Dark, rich chocolate with a splash of cool minty filling equals deliciousness! 


Chocolate Mint Brownies
adapted from Cooking Light


Brownie Layer:
1 box (Family size for a 13 x 9 dish) brownie mix of your choice
Extra ingredients required on brownie box

Mint layer:
2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. butter, melted
2 Tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
2 drops green food coloring

Glaze:
3/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
3 Tbsp. butter

Preheat oven according to brownie box directions.  Prepare and bake brownies as directed by the box.  Cool completely.

To prepare mint layer, combine powdered sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, and next 3 ingredients (through food coloring) in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer until smooth. Spread mint mixture over cooled cake.

To prepare the glaze, combine the chocolate chips and 3 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until melted, stirring after 30 seconds. Let stand 2 minutes. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over top. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Cut into 20 pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment