Saturday, March 20, 2010

Shrimp Pot Pies

Hi, my name is Jenn, and I am a blogging slacker!  I don't know what my funk has been all about, I have actually made quite a few things over the last couple of weeks, it is just every time I think about sitting down to post, I just don't want to!  Maybe it is because I have hit my one year of blogging mark and I am losing some steam, but whatever it is, IT NEEDS TO STOP!  I need to just snap out of it and post what I cook, because I really do enjoy sharing my adventures on here.  So if I have a long, unexplained absence again, send me a note and kick my virtual butt!

So, onto the food now....and this was some good food!  One of my favorite blogs that I follow is Cassie Craves, almost everything that she makes appeals to me, and nothing is too crazy fancy.  When I saw the recipe for the Shrimp Pot Pies pop up on her blog, I wanted to make them, and I wanted to make them pronto!  She adapted the recipe from Sunny Anderson on the Food Network, and I went a bit further and took my own liberties....but that is the fun part about cooking!  I think I got a bit heavy handed with the salt, but other than that, these were delicious!  My only issue with these were the puff pastry shells, mine didn't get cooked all the way through in the middle by the time they were browned on the outside, not sure what the problem was, but I guess I may just not be good with puff pastry!  If you can't find the pastry shells, you can always use puff pastry sheets and just cut them in larger rectangles!  Either way, the filling is yummy, and since I substituted half and half for the heavy cream, these weren't too terrible for the waistline!

Shrimp Pot Pies
adapted from Cassie Craves

4 - 6 frozen puff pastry shells
1 (1 lb.) package frozen uncooked medium shrimp (buy them shelled and deveined)
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 small carrots, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup white wine
2 cups half and half
Salt and white pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place puff pastry shells on baking sheet and bake per the package instructions.

Meanwhile, season the shrimp with cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Saute the shrimp, 1 minute per side. Remove shrimp and set aside.
Add remaining butter to the pan and saute onions and carrots until softened about 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds. Add wine, bring to a simmer and cook until most of the wine has evaporated. Add the half and half and bring back to a simmer until the sauce thickens to a gravy consistency, about 12 to 15 minutes.

Place the shrimp back into the sauce to coat. Season with salt and white pepper. Ladle the shrimp mixture onto the bottom halves of the puff pastry shells; enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have you back! I was about to sending you an email requesting some bean queen action!

    ReplyDelete