Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Creamy Chicken Taquitos

So as you can tell from all my previous posts, I am a huge Mexican food lover!!  But what you may have not caught on to, is when it comes to Mexican food, I rarely choose chicken as my filling of choice.  I will choose a beef or pork dish over chicken almost any day; I couldn't even tell you the last time that I ordered something at a Mexican restaurant that involved chicken (and well, I go to Mexican restaurants at least a couple times a week)!  With that being said, I was oddly drawn to make these creamy chicken flautas, I saw them pop up on a bunch of blogs, and the ingredients in the filling sounded so delicious, that I decided to just give it a whirl.  I am so glad that I tried this, not only is the filling so easy to put together, but it is delicious!!  While mixing it up I was considering not even putting this in the tortillas, just heating it up and eating it with a spoon!  The flavors are so fresh and really pop, that I just loved the combination!  Since these are baked and not fried, this is actually quite a healthy meal, loaded with lean protein! 

My sister came over for dinner the night that I made these, and she was a big fan as well.  I really wish that I had taken a picture of the gooey filling for you all, but you will just have to trust me and try it out for yourselves!  But a word of warning: line the baking sheet with foil, because some of the filling is bound to escape!

Creamy Chicken Taquitos
adapted from On My Menu

4 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
1/4 c. green salsa
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp. sliced green onions
1 (12.5 oz) can solid white chunk chicken, drained (Or sub 2 cups cooked chicken)
1 c. grated pepperjack cheese
12 small corn tortillas
Kosher salt
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.

Warm the cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so it's soft and easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir to combine, and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well.

Working with a few tortillas at a time, heat them in the microwave until they are soft enough to roll without cracking. Place 2-3 Tbsp. of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges, and then roll it up as tight as you can. Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Spray the tops of the tortillas lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle some kosher salt on top.

Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.

Serve with sour cream, guacamole, salsa and/or shredded cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment