Thursday, December 3, 2009

Zucchini Corn Cakes

Remember when you were a kid and getting mail was like the coolest thing ever?  Well, I must be a kid still because I love getting mail!  I am not talking about bills, or junk mail or even catalogs (although I am always quite thrilled when my US Weekly arrives); the mail that I love getting is the personal kind.  With everything going electronic and paperless these days, writing someone a letter is usually done at a computer, not with a pen and paper; but there is just something about a handwritten note that still brings a smile to my face.  Luckily for me, my grandmother who lives in California still likes to still down and write me a letter from time to time.  She usually just tells me about something going on with one of my other cousins or she will include a picture or even a coupon, but the last letter that she sent to me included a recipe that she and my cousin had recently made.  I was happy for the new recipe, but it didn't quite beat the joy that a handwritten letter from my grandmother brought to me.  I have a whole box of letters that she has written to me over the years, and they are truly some of my most prized possessions.

The timing of her letter and recipe couldn't have been more perfect, I happened to have some zucchini in the fridge the needed to be used and a box of Jiffy Corn Bread mix in the pantry.  The recipe called for shredded zucchini, so I was also really excited to use my new Titan Peeler (yes, the ones off the infomercial, but I bought mine at Bed Bath & Beyond), not only does it peel, but it juliennes.  I have to say, the peeler worked perfect for this, and I was able to put these together in no time!  I did jazz mine up a bit from the original by adding in a handful of shredded cheese (because in my opinion cheese makes everything better) and topping them with a dollop of sour cream, and next time I think I might add some green chiles!  These were delicious and easy, and I ate them just as they were for my meal, but they would also be great served as a side dish.

Keep in mind, if you are looking to brighten someone's day, sit down with a pen and paper and write them a note because it is usually the little things in life that mean the most!



Zucchini Corn Cakes
adapted from Women's Day - Sept. 15, 2009

1 medium zucchini, shredded
1 box Jiffy corn bread mix
1 large egg
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1 Tbsp. canola oil
Sour cream, if desired

Place shredded zucchini in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 2 minutes on medium-high heat; drain.  Combine zucchini, corn bread mix, egg and milk.  Let stand for 5 minutes and stir in cheese.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet.  Drop heaping tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil.  Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment