Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sweet Potato Casserole

I know that I may be in the minority on this one, but for some reason I just can't seem to get on board with putting marshmallows on my sweet potatoes.  Maybe it is because I became a sweet potato fan later in life via the sweet potato french fry craze, but whatever it is, I just don't think they go!  I got this recipe out of Cooking Light a few years ago and modified it to exclude the marshmallow topping, instead opting for some chopped pecans, but if you must, throw some marshmallows on top.  But whatever you do....you MUST make this!  Not only is it so incredibly easy, it is delicious!  For some reason I only ever seem to make it on Thanksgiving each year, and each time I can't believe that I have let so much time pass, yet I just don't seem to get around to making it again until the following Thanksgiving!

Hope everyone is enjoying their December's so far.....mine is flying by...so much to do, so little time!


Sweet Potato Casserole
adapted from Cooking Light November 2007

2½ lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 in. cubes
¾ c. packed brown sugar
¼ c. butter, softened
1½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ c. finely chopped pecans, divided
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375 °F

Place sweet potatoes in a large pot, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain; cool slightly.

Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add sugar and next 3 ingredients. Mash sweet potato mixture with a potato masher. Fold in ¼ cup pecans. Scrape potato mixture into an even layer in an 7 x 11 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with the remainng pecans. Bake for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment