Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Red Curry Shrimp with Jasmine Rice

A couple of Sunday's ago I didn't go to the grocery store as planned, and once six o'clock rolled around, I was hungry.  Rather than running out to grab something, I figured I should try to throw something together with the stuff that I had on hand.  When I looked in my cupboard I found this:

It was a jar of Thai Kitchen Red Curry Simmer sauce, I had bought it a few months ago when I had a coupon for it, and had yet to try it.  I remembered that I had some shrimp and frozen broccoli in the freezer, so I figured I would try it out.

I knew I needed some sort of rice or noodle to serve it over to soak up the sauce; so I was very happy when I came across this:

Uncle Ben's Jasmine Ready Rice!  I think I bought this with the intention of using it with some sort of Thai stir fry I was going to make once; well it didn't happen then, but on this night I was happy to find it, especially since it only takes 90 seconds in the microwave and it is done.

So I gathered my sauce, shrimp, rice, frozen broccoli and red bell pepper that I had found in the fridge and started cooking.  Well the strangest thing happened, from start to finish the entire process took just 15 minutes, which is at least how long it would have taken me to run out and grab some food somewhere!  Plus, it was a much healthier option than anything I would have gotten.  The flavor of this was good, very mild for those of you worried about spice (but it could be easily taken up a notch with some siracha sauce) and it paired so well with the Jasmine rice.  I was very proud of myself for making such a colorful, healthy meal....and my stomach was grateful that it only took 15 minutes!




Red Curry Shrimp with Jasmine Rice
(Serves 2 )

1/2 lb. uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined (If using frozen, just run under some water for a minute)
1 (11.9 oz.) jar Thai Kitchen Red Curry Simmer Sauce
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 c. broccoli florets (I used frozen, but fresh would work)
1 (8.5 oz.) bag Uncle Ben's Jasmine Ready Rice

In a medium saucepan, heat simmer sauce until boiling.  Add shrimp to sauce and reduce to a simmer.  Cook about 3 minutes and then add the red bell pepper and broccoli.  Meanwhile, cook Ready Rice according to package directions.  The sauce is done once the shrimp are fully cooked (pink).  Divide rice into two bowls and top with the shrimp sauce.  Enjoy!

1 comment: