Sunday, November 8, 2009

Creamed Spinach

I have been cooking I promise, but I haven't been blogging about it, and I don't really have an answer as to why. This is the spinach side dish that I made to go with the Stuffed Pork Loin and the Individual Pumpkin Cheese Cakes; that was two weeks ago. I guess I have been rather busy, but that is not an excuse, so I would like to apologize to "My Biggest Fan" for my absence....I vow to get back on track this month!

My dad loves a good creamed spinach, so when I was trying to figure out a vegetable side to go with the pork, I decided that creamed spinach would be perfect. This is a version from Emeril Lagasse that I found on Recipezaar, it was really simple to throw together, and reheated well. The only issue I found was that it was a bit runny, so I think the spinach needs to be rung out really well before the liquid is added, but other than that....it was just delicious! (Please pardon the picture.....there was just no pretty way to photograph this!)

Creamed Spinach
adapted from Recipezaar


3 Tbsp. butter
3 lbs. fresh spinach, washed
and stemmed (The original said to chop, but I skipped that)
Salt & pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
2 c. Half and Half
2 c. Italian blend cheese, shredded, divided

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish; set aside.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add butter and stir until melted. Add spinach to skillet along with salt and pepper; saute for 3 to 4 minutes or until all the spinach is wilted. (At this point, I would remove the spinach and squeeze out all the extra liquid) Add the Half and Half and the garlic to the spinach; bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 6 minutes, or until mixture begins to thicken. Remove pan from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Pour into prepared baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for about 4 - 6 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.

1 comment: