Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cheesy Potatoes Gratin

By no means has it actually felt like Fall yet here in Arizona, but that hasn't stopped me from wanting to eat Fall type foods, specifically, casseroles!  I know I have previously pledged my love for almost all things casserole, so when I say these on Kaitlin's blog, I knew I just had to make them soon.  As luck would have it, I happened to have a package of homestyle potato slices in my fridge that were quickly approaching their expiration date, so I took it as a sign!  After getting home from work one night, I was able to quickly throw these together, especially since the potatoes were already sliced (the original recipe called for peeling and slicing the potatoes).  I had just gotten these cute little red ramekins and had been looking for a reason to try them out, but I suppose you could just put everthing in one large dish, it might just have to cook for a bit longer.

I had one little problem while making these, at some point, my toaster oven that I was baking these in turned off!  I was pretty sure that I set the timer for the alotted time, but somehow it went off, and I didn't hear it ding over the TV.  When the smell finally brought me into the kitchen, I could tell that they weren't done, so I just had to guess on how much time they needed until they were done.  After the delay,I was finally able to dig into the potatoes, and they were worth the wait!  They were creamy, cheesy and just so comforting!  I think I went a little bit overboard with the garlic, but that is a personal preference, so adjust accordingly!  These could even be made into a nice meal with the additional of some ham to the mix....but entree or side dish, they are still delish!



Cheesy Potatoes Gratin

20 oz. pkg. Simply Potatoes Homestyle slices (found in the refrigerated section by the eggs)
1/2 c. half and half
4 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
2 c. extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
2 small garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Butter, to butter the gratin dishes

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, add potato slices, half and half, 1 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic and salt & pepper.  Stir to combine, making sure all the potatoes are well coated; if needed add more half and half.  Generously butter your ramekins or baking dish (this adds flavor, don't use spray).  Spoon the potatoes evenly into 4 small ramekins and flatten to make sure they're in an even layer.  Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, then remove and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.  Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.  Let cool for about 5 minutes before eating.

1 comment:

  1. have you ever made them with corn flakes on top? I know it sounds strange but it gives it a great crunchy texture

    ReplyDelete