Monday, November 16, 2009

Beer Cheese Dip

I actually made this dip for one of my tailgates earlier this season, but I forgot my camera that day, and my sister called dibs on the leftovers. I told her she could have them as long as she took a picture and sent it to me....well, she lost her camera cord....so it took awhile....but she finally sent it so I can post the recipe for all of you!

At this point, I can't even clearly remember what game I made this for, but I am thinking it had to be University of Washington....which was an exciting game as my Sun Devils scored a touchdown as time expired to win the game!! Everyone in the stadium figured we were heading into overtime (which I was a bit miffed about because my DVR was going to miss overtime...and yes, I go to the game and re-watch it on TV, it is just my thing, don't judge me!).....but then a beautiful rainbow pass dropped the ball into the waiting hands of Chris McGaha, who seemed to be in just as much shock as the rest of the crowd! It always seems that we come up on the short end of these last minute scores (which, incidentally, is the reason for three of our losses this season), but this night was different for a change.

We were having a really casual tailgate that night, just Washington "Husky" Dogs, Washington Apple Pie....you get the drift. I knew we needed some sort of munchie to tide us over until we grilled the hot dogs, so I went searching on Recipezaar and came up with this little gem. After reading the ingredients, I was sold, and I knew my crew would be to....I mean it has two kinds of cheese, ranch dressing and beer in it...can it get any better? Well, I whipped this up in my Kitchen Aid mixer, and let it sit overnight until game day, the verdict, it was a HIT! Everyone wanted to know what was in it, and couldn't stop eating it. I served it with some pretzel crisps that I found at Costco, because pretzels + cheese + beer = YUM! Like I said earlier, my sister took home the leftovers, and I am guessing they didn't last long. For those of you weary of the beer part, you really couldn't taste it, but if you want to leave out the liquor all together, just substitute some apple juice!

Beer Cheese Dip
adapted from Recipezaar

2 (8 oz. each) pkgs. cream cheese
1 pkg. Ranch dressing mix (Like Hidden Valley)
2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 c. green onion, tops only, chopped
1/3 - 1/2 c. beer, any flavor (I think I used Bud Light) or use apple juice

In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese and the ranch dressing mix; mix until smooth. Stir in the cheddar cheese and the green onions
. Slowly add beer until you reach your desired consistency. Cover and refrigerate overnight; serve with pretzels, crackers, veggies, etc!

No comments:

Post a Comment