Monday, June 15, 2009

Thai-Style Pork

This past weekend, I was really lazy. I had great aspirations to try out some new recipes, but instead just ended up watching movies, running errands and eating out of my freezer! Nothing says a wild Saturday night like a Tostinos frozen pizza! Although, I have to admit, I really enjoyed just dithering around and getting stuff done around the house and finally getting around to watching Slumdog Millionaire (it was sooo good)! Since I didn't try anything new, I felt the need to dig up something that I made a few months back and never got around to posting.

During the early weeks of Idol, my sister and our friend Whitney were getting together fairly regularly to watch the episodes. It was still somewhat cool here (well as cool as late February in Phoenix can be) so I wanted to try another crock pot recipe. I have a major crock pot addiction! I love them; the convenience and ease and the way they make the house smell after a long day of cooking, it is all just perfect! I had been on a Thai food kick and when I came across this recipe I knew that I wanted to try it. I served it with brown rice and sunshine carrots in an orange sauce. The overall flavor was very good, but the recipe did not make enough sauce to coat all of the meat properly, it was a bit on the dry side. I would make this again, but I would definitely double the sauce ingredients to make it nice and saucy! Also, compared to most Thai dishes, this would be on the very mild side, so if you like more heat, I would bump up the amount of red pepper flakes.

We all really liked this and cleaned our plates, but that didn't stop us from making a run to Ice Tango for some frozen yogurt before we started watching Idol!


Thai-Style Pork
from Taste of Home Casseroles, Slow Cookers & Soups
(I would recommend doubling everything except the pork)

2 lbs. boneless pork loin chops
1/4 c. teriyaki sauce
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 c. cold water
1/4 c. creamy peanut butter

Garnish:
Chopped green onions
Dry roasted peanuts

Place pork chops in a 3-qt. slow cooker (I always use the Reynolds Slow Cooker liners for easier clean up!). Combine the teriyaki sauce, vinegar, pepper flakes and garlic, pour over the meat. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove pork and cut into bite-size pieces (mine just shredded); keep warm. Strain cooking juices into a large saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir peanut butter; add meat.

Serve over rice. Sprinkle with green onions and peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment