Monday, June 8, 2009

Lion Cookies

I was over at my sister's house a few weeks ago browsing through the new Pillsbury cookbook that she had gotten when I came across these adorable cookies. There were many great ideas in the cookbook, but these stood out to me because they were LIONS!! You see, I love lions! Part of it is because my astrological sign is a Leo, and the other part is because lions are my sorority mascot. Because of this, I collect all things lion related, and I find nothing more thrilling than finding a new lion "something" for my collection! So far I have a garden statue, piggy bank, a lamp, and even a spatula; along with various other figurines and an entire collection of Christmas tree ornaments! So when I spotted theses cookies I knew I had to try them out. We are having a sorority alum meeting on Tuesday, so I thought that they would be the perfect audience for these cookies debut appearance!

My sister came over to my house to help me make these, and they are fairly easy to put together, just a bit time consuming, but oh so worth it! We ended up making about 4 dozen, and I will admit it, we sampled a few and they are delicious! So if you like lions or are just looking for something different, give these a try!

Lion Cookies
adapted from Pillsbury

1 (16 oz.) pkg. Pillsbury refrigerated peanut butter cookie dough (Or any peanut butter cookierecipe of your liking, we ended up also using a bag of Betty Crocker Peanut Butter cookie mix)
1/2 c. sugar
Chow Mein noodles
Reese's Pieces Baking Bits
Brown decorating gel

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Form dough into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar. Place on an ungreased baking sheet at least 2-inches apart (make sure to have enough space, because they do expand!) Flatten balls with the bottom of a glass. Place candies on the cookies to make eyes and a nose. Use chow mein noodles to form a mane and don't forget the whiskers! Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool for 1 minute and then remove to cooling racks. Once cookies have cooled enough, use the decorating gel to draw on the mouth.

Here is our little pack of lions.
So cute!

2 comments:

  1. Those are cute! I started collection lion ornaments too after seeing your mom's tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours are gone already....they were tasty!

    ReplyDelete