Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Crab Rangoons and Fried Rice


Last night as I was watching the Sun Devil baseball game, my stomach reminded me that it was time for dinner. When I opened the fridge, I noticed the container of cooked white rice that I had made last week in anticipation of making fried rice. Well, that night I ended up going out to dinner with a friend, and so the rice sat in my fridge for a week. I decided I better use it before it passed the point of no return, and while I was rummaging through my deli tray, I stumbled upon cream cheese and won ton wrappers. A can of crab meat was waiting patiently in my pantry...so it was decided...I was going to cook up an Asian feast!

This was my first attempt at crab rangoons, and I just threw in what I had on hand and what I thought would taste good...and it worked! I had a bit of an issue with the frying, I didn't really want to deep fry them (even though that tastes so good) so I put just a little bit of oil in the pan to pan fry them. I had some splattering issues and some of the filling started oozing out, but overall it worked. I think next time I will try baking them, and there will be a next time because I ended up freezing a batch without cooking them to save for a rainy day!
Crab Rangoons


1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese (I used light)
1 (6 oz.) can crab meat
4 green onions, finely minced
1 pkg. won ton wrappers
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Canola oil
(I guess I forgot the green onions in the picture, and disregard the ginger, I didn't use it.)

Soften cream cheese in microwave for about 20 seconds. Stir in crab, green onions, garlic powder and salt. Place a small spoonful of mixture on each won ton wrapper, fold over into a triangle, and seal the edges with water.

Heat about 1 inch of oil in a deep skillet. Add the rangoons in batches, turning occasionally until browned. Drain on a cooling rack with paper towels below. Repeat until all are cooked. Serve with sweet and sour sauce or sweet chili sauce for dipping.

Fried Rice

(I basically just followed the directions on the back of the packet.)

1 packet Fried Rice seasoning mix
3 cups cooked rice, cooled
3 green onions, sliced
2 Tbsp. oil
2 Tsp. soy sauce (I used low-sodium)
2 eggs
1 c. peas and carrots mix (I just defrosted and let them warm up in the cooking, but you could pre-cook them)

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add in green onions, saute for 1 minute. Add rice to the skillet, breaking up any clumps, and cook until heated through. Add seasoning mix and soy sauce; stir to combine. Push rice to one side of the skillet and crack in the eggs. Let eggs set for about 1 minute, then scramble them into rice. Add peas and carrots mixture; stir, combining all ingredients until combined. Heat on low until vegetables are heated through.

2 comments:

  1. This makes me realize how badly we need to go to the grocery store and keep a well stocked pantry. I went to make something for dinner and ended up munching on some crackers with jelly and cream cheese. Good work on your cooking adventures dough head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need help figuring out what to keep in a well-stocked pantry....my services are available! (Bu there is nothing wrong with cheese and crackers for dinner, I have done that many times before!)

    ReplyDelete