Thursday, April 2, 2009

Wednesday Night Dinner

As time goes by, life gets crazy, so a group of my college friends and I decided a few months ago that we needed to have a monthly dinner to catch up. There are 7 of us total, and we have yet to have the whole group attend....maybe next month? Last night we decided to get together at my house because it is less formal than a restaurant....plus I wanted to try out some new recipes and I always welcome willing participants! I was really excited to start planning my menu, but as I began thinking about things, I realized that I was dealing with a diverse group of eaters (and by diverse, I mean picky!). There is the one who doesn't eat cheese (something I can just not comprehend), the one who only eats chicken (I am a beef girl myself) and the one who won't eat pork. When I was thinking of things to make, that were either meatless or were chicken based....they all included cheese!!! At the last minute I finally figured something out....and the menu turned out great...although I am already starting to worry about what to make for next month!

April's Dinner Menu

Appetizer:
Raspberry Black Bean Dip (I rebelled here....there were 2 different cheeses in this dish!)

Main Course:
Avocado and Mango Spinach Salad with Citrus Dressing
Chicken & Bean Tacos/or Tostadas

Dessert:
Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcakes
Here is the recipe for the tacos, they were so easy, and very flavorful. If you are interested in any of the other recipes, send me a note!



Chicken & Bean Tacos in the Crock Pot
adapted from Pillsbury.com


2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used tenders)
1 (1 oz. ) pkg. taco seasoning
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, drained
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (4.5 oz.) can diced green chilies
2 Tbsp. lime juice

Place chicken in a 4 quart crock pot. Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken. Top with beans, tomatoes, chilies and lime juice in that order. Cover and cook on low for 7 - 8 hours or until chicken shreds apart easily. Shred chicken with 2 forks and stir everything together.

Serve meat mixture in tortillas or on tostadas shells with all the fixings!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! i'm so glad that you started a blog! :) you gotta start adding more reciepies!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all about reading a blog from the bean queen :)

    ReplyDelete