Sunday, April 12, 2009

Pineapple and what?

My parents love hosting people at their house to celebrate holidays, their motto is the more the merrier. In the past we have had friends from my college dorm, sorority sisters, co-workers, whoever needs a place to celebrate is welcome in their home. Since my mom is always such the gracious host, I like to help her out by bringing a dish. This year, I knew I wanted to bring Pineapple Casserole. I first tried the casserole out last Easter, and I couldn't wait to have it again because it is the perfect accompaniment to ham, and Easter seems to be the only time of the year we ever have a ham.

So I made the casserole and brought it over to Easter, and when we sat down to eat, everyone started raving about how good it was, and wanted to know what was in it. I got a lot of responses that went something like, "Pineapple and what?" As you will see below, when you read the ingredient list, you might turn up your nose....but trust me...everyone that tries it....LOVES it! As my mom says, the recipe looks like it was made up by a drunk person, because who would put these things together....but somehow....it just works!

Pineapple Casserole

2 (20 oz. each) cans crushed pineapple
5 Tbsp. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 1/2 c. Ritz cracker crumbs
1/2 c. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with either cooking spray or butter.

Drain pineapple. Place crushed pineapple evenly along the bottom of prepared casserole dish. Mix together the flour, sugar and cheese. Sprinkle evenly on top of pineapple.



Cover with Ritz cracker crumbs. I usually just take 2 sleeves of Ritz crackers and place in a
Ziploc bag. Then I get out a rolling pin and smash away!

The Before
The After!


Melt the butter and pour over the top of the cracker crumbs.

Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, until top turns golden brown and crispy.


And voila! You have the yummiest, sweet, buttery casserole that goes great with ham! Try taking a bite of ham with the pineapple.....it is a party in your mouth!


Hope everyone had a joyful Easter!

1 comment: