Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Enchiladas and Idol

Since it is Tuesday and I have Idol on the brain, it reminded me of a dinner that I made for my friend Whitney and my sister during an Idol viewing a few weeks back. Whitney had recently done some redecorating at her place, and wanted us to come over and check it out. I had been in a cooking mood so I volunteered to come over and make dinner, and both were quick to agree to the plan!

Whitney, Laura and I have a lot in common, including a deep love for Mexican food....including beans!! I was trying to come up with something quick, easy and tasty to try out....and after surfing around online, I decided to go with chicken and spinach enchiladas. I looked at a couple of recipes and kind of melded them together, and they turned out quite tasty! Both Whitney and Laura were excited when I offered them the leftovers....and the next day I got e-mails informing me how their office mates were jealous of their lunches!

Here is the recipe for the enchiladas. I served them with some fiesta corn and seasoned black beans with a dollop of sour cream on top! My taste testers are not the biggest fans of spice, so I kept these mild, but next time, I am going to kick them up a notch! I also made a mint chocolate chip ice cream pie in an Oreo crust for dessert....and Whitney got to keep the leftovers, lucky girl!

So if you are feeling like having a fiesta....give these a try!


Creamy Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas

1 c. chopped onion (white or yellow)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 c. cooked chicken; chopped or shredded (I just purchased a rotisserie chicken)
3 c. fresh baby spinach, washed and stemmed
½ c. sour cream
½ c. cream cheese
1 (16 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies (I didn’t use these, but next time I make them I will add them for a bit of heat, but you can leave them out)
2 c. shredded cheese (Mexican blend, Monterrey jack or cheddar)
12 small flour tortillas

Add 1 Tbsp. of olive to a pan, add onions and garlic and cook until softened. Add spinach to pan and cook until slightly wilted. Add cream cheese, sour cream and 1 cup of cheese to mixture, stir over low heat until cheeses are melted. Add chicken to the pan and mix well.

Spoon chicken mixture into tortillas and roll up, place seem side down in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Repeat until all the tortillas are used. If there is any remaining chicken mixture, spoon over the top of the tortillas. Cover with the enchilada sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes, until cheese starts to bubble.

1 comment:

  1. May is Mexican food month, correct? Sign me up for a dinner date sometime that month!

    ReplyDelete