Friday, October 16, 2009

Black Bean and Mandarin Orange Salsa

I was running a bit behind in planning my tailgate menu for the ASU vs. Oregon State football game a couple of weeks ago. I like to theme my menus based on the team that we are playing, but I couldn't seem to draw any inspiration from Corvallis, Oregon or the Beaver mascot....is beaver even edible? Well, with it being October, it suddenly hit me, I would go with the team colors....ORANGE and BLACK! After my epiphany, I was able to quickly plan a color themed, or close enough, color themed menu!

ASU vs. Oregon State - October 3, 2009

  • Grilled Sliders with Cheddar Cheese (I am not that good at grilling, so I figured the meat was the black part!)
  • Black Bean and Mandarin Orange Salsa with Tortilla Chips
  • Carrots with Ranch (I put black food coloring in the ranch...didn't go over so well!)
  • Pumpkin Pie Dip with Ginger Snaps & Chocolate Teddy Grahams (Recipe Coming Soon!)

This wasn't one of my most elaborate menus, but it went over really well with my guests, especially this salsa. It was such a nice refreshing change from the normal black bean salsas that usually have corn in them, the sweetness of the oranges paired really well with the salty black beans. I usually end up with leftovers of most of the things I bring, but not with this one, the bowl was licked clean!

Black Bean and Mandarin Orange Salsa
adapted from Coastal Living - January 1998

1 (11 oz.) can mandarin orange sections, undrained
2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 c. roasted red pepper (from a jar), diced
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
3 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (or you can use balsamic)
1/4 tsp. salt

Drain orange sections, reserving 1/3 cup of the juice.

Combine orange sections, beans, red pepper, and cilantro in a large bowl; set aside.

Whisk together the reserved orange juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar and salt; pour over orange mixture, tossing well. Chill until serving and serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment