Sunday, October 4, 2009

Bacon Mac & Cheese

Up until about a year ago, I had had a subscription to Cooking Light Magazine for almost 10 years, but when it came up for renewal the last time, I broke up with Cooking Light. It is not that Cooking Light hadn't been good to me and provided me with lots of delicious food over the years (I can honestly say, there wasn't a recipe that I tried that I didn't like), it was just that over time, it's offerings became less and less appealing to me. I am not sure if it was the mile long ingredient lists, or the obscure ingredients for that matter, but I hadn't tried a recipe out of my last 10 issues....so it was just time to move on.

So it only figures that since I decided to go and break up with them, they have changed their format and started putting out much simpler (and more personally appealing) recipes! I saw this recipe posted on a couple of different blogs, and all gave it rave reviews. My current Mac & Cheese favorite was a stove-top version that I had gotten out of an older version of Cooking Light, so I was eager to try a new version. Let me just say one word about this version....WOW! This is hands down my new favorite Mac & Cheese, it is so simple, so delicious, and it came from a light cooking magazine; does it get any better?

Oddly enough, the item that I think gives this the most flavor punch is actually not the bacon, but the green onions! I happen to love green onions, and the flavor of them, mixed with the creamy cheese and the bacon was amazing! Another thing that I really liked about this recipe is the way that it reheated in the microwave, it came out really creamy, not clumping up like some reheated versions.

So with fall upon us.....it is time for some comfort food....and this certainly fits the bill!

And now I am left to ponder if I really should have broken up with Cooking Light after all!


Bacon Mac & Cheese
Adapted from Cooking Light September 2009

3 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
12 oz. elbow macaroni
4 tsp. flour
1 1/2 c. skim milk, divided
2 c. shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 c. green onions, sliced
1 tsp. hot sauce
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 slices center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
Cooking spray

Preheat broiler

Bring 6 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil. Add pasta; cook al dente, drain.

Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add 1 cup milk, bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes, or until it cools to 155 degrees. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, onions, hot sauce, pepper and bacon; stir. Add pasta; toss. Spoon into a 2-quart, broiler safe dish coated with cooking spray; top with 1/2 cup cheese. Broil 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.

1 comment:

  1. I am completely in love with the new Cooking Light format. I have subscribed for years as well, as these new ones are the best ones in a long time. This mac and cheese is delicious! I tried it, minus the bacon of course.

    ReplyDelete