Thursday, April 15, 2010

Va Bene Italian Restaurant

In general, I Like Italian food, but I Love Mexican food!  But now Va Bene Italian Restaurant has changed that because I loved Va Bene!  I planned one of my monthly sorority dinners here after hearing good reviews, it is not near my normal neighborhood so I felt that this was a good chance to try some place new!  This particular night there were 9 of us meeting for dinner, and while some of the girls had been out with me when I was reviewing a restaurant before, the other ones were really good sports and just went along with it when I passed the camera around the table (which will also explain some of the crazy picture angles) and made them take pictures before taking bites!  Since this dinner was over a month ago now, I don't really remember what each of these dishes was let alone the comments from those that ate them, so I am basically just going to tell you what each dish is to the best of my memory....but what I do know is that everyone loved their dinners and a few of us even got dessert (although I forgot to pass to the camera at this point)! 

I think this was just penne with a fresh tomato sauce....looks tasty!


I think that this is the Pollo alla Genovese, which was chicken breast with artichoke hearts in a dijon cream sauce.  It was served with veggies and mashed potatoes on the side.


I believe this is the Linguine Gamberoni con Rucola which is a linguine pasta with tomatoes, arugla and shrimp with a touch of cream.  Whoever ordered this must have been at the other end of the table from me, because i definately would have wanted a bite!

This is what I ordred, the Gnocchi alla Vodka to which I added Italian sausage.  Let me just say, this was the best gnocchi that I have ever had, the little nuggets were so tender they just melted in my mouth.  The vodka sauce was also done just perfect; creamy with a touch of heat.  I wasn't expecting the sausage to be in a crumbled form, I would have preferred it sliced, but the gnocchi was so good that it didn't matter.


This is the Penne Aglio Olio Peperoncino con Broccoli, a pretty long name for pasta with broccoli!  This was just a nice clean dish that my friend really enjoyed.


My friend Kim at the Filet special, which was a filet in a mushroom cream sauce.  Since she couldn't decide between a steak or pasta, the waiter was kind enough to change out her side item to some of the Gnocchi all Vodka!  She was in heaven and the plate was clean by the time she was done!


Va Bene's version of the Linguine Vongole looked and smelled amazing!  We couldn't believe how many clams were mounded onto the dish, and the white wine sauce was fresh and clean with a touch of garlic.


My sister has been on a Seafood Risotto kick lately, so she couldn't pass up trying the version at Va Bene.  This version had scallops, shrimp and mushrooms in a light brandy cream sauce.  She thought that this was an amazing risotto, while rich, not overpowering and the seafood was cooked perfectly!


We had a wonderful time at Va Bene, the food was delicious, the service outstanding and top that with good friends and it wa the recipe for the perfect evening.  I am going to have to come up with reasons to head down to that part of town more often so that I can try some more of their delicious dishes!

Va Bene Italian Restaurant
4647 E. Chandler Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85048
http://www.vabeneaz.com/

1 comment:

  1. The fam has been there before and it is tasty. If you ever go back holla at me and you can come by for a visit :)

    ReplyDelete