Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Open Faced Lasagna Ciabattas

I got this really cool lightbox for Christmas, but it didn't come with any instructions, and being the novice photographer that I am, I decided I needed a bit of guidance.  Luckily for me, I have a friend that is an AMAZING photographer, so I called her up and offered a home-cooked meal in exchange for some camera tips...and she was quick to agree!  I also invited along her boyfriend and another friend of theirs, because while I like to experiment in the kitchen, I am not a fan of eating leftovers for days on end!  As the evening approached on our agreed upon day, I still hadn't quite figured out what I wanted to make, but I knew I wanted it to be something hot and hearty!  When I first discovered the world of food blogs, one of the first ones that I ever ran across was Picky Palate, and this recipe in particular caught my eye.  I went back and looked at what I had marked to try and when I saw this, I knew that I had found the evenings meal.  This was really quite easy to toss together, and was a fun twist on lasagna without having to boil water!  The recipe makes quite a bit; I ended up sending a bunch home with the boys....but I think they were happy to help me out!  Jessica gave me some great tips on lighting, camera settings and angles, and while I haven't quite matched her skill level yet....I am working on it!

Thanks again Jessica!



Toasted Open Faced Lasagna Ciabattas
adapted from Picky Palate

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 lb ground Italian Sausage (I used link sausage and just removed the casings)
1 (26 oz) jar of your favorite pasta sauce
8 leaves fresh basil, chopped
15 oz container ricotta cheese
½ c. grated parmesan cheese
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese (I used an Italian blend)
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. Italian Seasoning
4 ciabatta rolls
1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
Parmesan cheese
Basil, for garnish, optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place oil into a medium dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Cook sausage until browned, about 5-7 minutes; reserve ¼ cup of sausage for ricotta. Reduce heat to low and stir in pasta sauce and basil leaves. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Place reserved ¼ cup sausage, ricotta, parmesan, shredded mozzarella, salt, pepper and Italian Seasoning into a medium bowl. Stir to combine.

Split each ciabatta roll and place cut side up onto a large baking sheet. Spread ricotta mixture over each roll, about ¼ cup (*you probably won’t use all of ricotta.). Top with a couple spoonfuls of pasta sauce, and fresh mozzarella cheese slices.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and hot. Remove, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and basil; serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment