Thursday, July 15, 2010

Nifna's Green Salsa

I actually made this about two months ago, which will probably come as no shock since I haven't been posting regularly, but it is such a nice change of pace from regular salsa that I couldn't just not post it.  Apparently Nifna's is a well known Mexican restaurant in the Houston area and this dip is served to everyone with the complimentary chips.  (Side note: I recently read that we are getting a Nifna's here in the Phoenix area, so I will have to check it out and compare once it opens!)  I was not only intrigued by the ingredient list, but also by the preparation because the tomato component is actually cooked first.  This was really good, it had a hit of heat, but the sour cream and avocado in it helped to temper the fire.  Also, this made a ton!  So unless you are going to a party or have a huge family, you may want to cut the recipe in half...or maybe not....cause it probably won't last long!  I took this in to my office and my co-workers went wild over it!  I have a pretty small office and had two requests for the recipe...which can only mean one thing...it's a keeper!

Nifna's Green Salsa
adapted from Home with Mandy


3 medium-sized green tomatoes, coarsely chopped (you can substitute yellow if you can’t find green ones, and you are not supposed to use red, but that is all I could find and it still worked!)
4 tomatillos, cleaned and chopped
1 to 2 jalapenos, stemmed and coarsely chopped
3 small garlic cloves, chopped
3 medium-sized ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
4 sprigs cilantro
1 tsp. salt
1 c. sour cream

Combine chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic in a saucepan and heat on medium high  Add garlic.  At this point, using a potato masher, start to smash the tomatoes to bring out the juices.  Let the mixture cook, mashing more and stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes remove from heat and let cool a bit.

Meanwhile, put avocado, cilantro and salt in a food processor and pulse a few times until combined.  Add cooled tomato mixture to food processor and pulse until smooth.  Remove mixture to a different bowl and stir in sour cream.  (I chilled mine for a bit after this because it was still warm from the tomatoes.)  Dig in with some tortilla chips....mmmm!


.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a salsa recipe like this. Glad to see you posting again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your salsa, it's different. I like my salsa on the fine and smooth side, and yours looks just like how i want mine. I'm def snatching this recipe, hehe. thanks! i wanna share this to my friends in Foodista too. Just if you won't mind adding the foodista widget for sour cream, then that would be great! The widget will direct readers to this post when they go looking for sour cream recipes ;-) thanks and keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete