Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Caprese Skewers

A couple of weeks ago my sister moved into a new condo that she recently purchased.  She was so excited for her new place that she just had to have a housewarming party ASAP, never mind that she didn't even have bedding or things to put on the walls when she decided this.  But nonetheless, she planned it for a weekend after we got back from vacation, and asked me to help out with the food.  She had some very specific requests of things for me to make, but luckily they were all pretty easy to pull together.  Although the whole weekend was a mad rush with us spending all day Saturday running around to different stores to finish decorating the place and then going to buy and make all the food by 4:00 pm on Sunday, but we got it done with just minutes to spare!  I have to say, her place looks really good, and she was able to pull it together really quickly.  It took me months to figure out my place, although I was behind to start with because all I owned was a bed, TV and a retro baby blue recliner!  Oh the days of simplicity!

Here is a picture of the spread that we put out for the guests, and over the next couple of posts I will share with you what I made, starting with Caprese Skewers!



The guests loved all the food, and I just had to call my sister out when she was showing off all the food that SHE (code for me, Jenn, her sister) made!  But hey, that's what sisters are for :)  It is almost embarrassing to share this as a recipe, because it is really more of an idea, but it makes for such a great item to take to a party or a picnic because it can be made ahead of time and doesn't require a fork!  I first made these for one of my football tailgates and everyone went wild over them, so I knew I had me a keeper!

Caprese Skewers
by Jenn

Cherry Tomatoes (I bought a box at Costco and had about half leftover)
Fresh mozzarella (Once again, I bought this at Costco, it comes in a pack of 2, but I just used one log)
Prepared Pesto (I used Classico Brand, found on the pasta aisle, but use fresh or make your own!)
Toothpicks

Dice mozzarella into cubes, about 3/4" by 3/4".  Put cheese and tomatoes in a large bowl, spoon a couple of tablespoons of pesto into the bowl; stir to combine and coat the cheese and tomatoes.  Add more pesto until you get the desired amount of coating. 

Skewer the tomatoes and cheese onto toothpicks.  I usually do cheese, tomato, cheese; but do whatever combination you like!  Put skewers in a sealed container in the refrigerator and let sit at least an hour to let the pesto marinate into the cheese.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete